Old July 2nd 16, 10:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_6_]

Default AG: Tour d' Stitches Out -- five miles, three hours

On Fri, 01 Jul 2016 21:06:22 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 13:28:51 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Try doing "sets" of, say 5 pushups and repeat. In other words, do five
pushups, rest for one minute, then another five, rest, and then a
third set, if possible. As you get stronger add either more sets or
more repetitions.

I'm working my way up to doing my very first pushup. I'm in no hurry;
just resting my weight on my arms for a while helps the osteopenia.

Bone density is a problem as one grows older. I was diagnosed with
osteoporosis years ago and took Fosamax for several years. Then my
doctor recommended a "vacation" from the Fosamax as it had began to
appear that while Fosamax did improve bone density it also seemed to
make the bones more friable. I think that the first indications were
jaw bone fractures when installing tooth implants.

After a year and a slight decrease in density, taking only calcium and
Vit D, my doctor, who had become rather adamant about not using
Fosamax for long periods, suggested trying Selenium, which I did and
density increased.

Initially I used an approved Selenium medicine which was rather
expensive and after it became obvious that it did help increase bone
density I tried the same stuff but from a "vitamin store" which was
significantly cheaper and seemed to improve density as well as the
expensive stuff.

I'm not in any way encouraging you to use it but it did work for me.

By the way, some exercise authorities recommend that for women, it
is better to start with modified pushups. Instead of the entire body,
supported on hands and toes, try hands and knees until you build your
strength.

That's the "pushup" I was taught in gym class; I don't know how old I
was before I learned how it's really done. I can do that kind with a
weight on my shoulders.

--
cheers,

John B.