Old March 29th 18, 05:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default MTB disc brake caused wild fire

On 2018-03-29 09:24, sms wrote:
On 3/27/2018 7:39 AM, Joerg wrote:

Hydraulics also can suffer from sudden fade and that's scary. Then
they require bleeding which, depending on the kind, is a messy
business. On mine particularly so because there is no bleed kit for
them. Cable disc brakes are fine for pavement riding, just not for
heavy duty MTB riding.

Avoid hydraulic disc brakes at all costs. Stick to mechanical disc brakes.

They are not powerful enough for MTB with large riders and some cargo.
Also, many mechanical systems only have a piston on one side which over
time results in the rotor being bent sideways when braking.

After having ridden offroad with rim brakes, mechanical discs and
hydraulic disks I found hydraulic discs to be far superior and never
looked back.

For road bikes machanical discs should suffice. IF I ever need a new one
I will make 100% sure it does not have rim brakes.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/