Old June 13th 17, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default 17 years olds and priority

On 2017-06-09 22:20, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 08:24:38 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 4:59:26 PM UTC-7,
wrote:
So my 17 year old's bike a cross bike is see in garage with
wheels off and tire off rim. What Happen I ask him and he says
tires popped? Ok where are the skewers. I don't know. Well go
find them now we need them. After awhile no finding he says they
are like a $5 part so what.

I patch the tubes for the 2nd time they are fine hold air. No
skewers to hold tire on bike and I am getting irritated no
responsibility. He has this attitude that so what and now I am
thinking he can cough up the skewers and the cash. I go to the
trouble of patching tubes because it gets the job done for
pennies and this crap.

Rant on

Mark, why would you even do a minutes work on your son's bike if he
isn't interested in riding?

Or to put it another way, why can't the kid do it himself?

Yup. My dad fixed a tube on my kid's bike when I was 6 or 7. Once. "Son,
you better watch really good now because next time you do it". Next time
I came home with a flat my dad said "You know where the tools are to get
the wheel out and where the patch kit is".

Ahh, you were looky. Whe -our- dad used to get home, he would slice us in two with the breadknife, and dance about on our graves.

Me, too! That is such a coincidence! What kind of knife? My dad really loved his Gerber.

-- Jay Beattie.