Old March 13th 05, 06:47 PM
Tom Sherman

Neil Cherry wrote:

I throw 36 spoke wheels out of true as fast I as throw 32 spoke wheels
out of true. The 36 spoke wheel generally have a heavier/boxier rim
which holds up better (except for that one bunny hops, grrr ;-). The
Weinman I have is a weird looking rim. It's shinny! Even it's brake
surfaces but I have no problems with stopping. One of the problems I
may have with wheels is that I'm abusive to them. I throw on a back
pack with an extra 30 - 40lbs and ride to work. Or I'll throw on the
trailer and throw everything in there. I had 5 laptops (needed to load
new OS's for lab use) plus everything else (hey I have to eat too
;-). BTW, I weigh in at 190 lb in the early season.

Get a bicycle that uses ISO 559-mm wheels (26" MTB). Have a competent
wheel builder make up a set of 36-spoke wheels with Sun Mammoth (or
equivalent free ride/downhill) rims and high spoke tension. Use 60-559
Schwalbe Big Apple street tires.

If that does not work, consider having a machinist carve you a set of
disc wheels from an aluminium alloy billet.

--
Tom Sherman – Earth (Illinois)