Old January 1st 19, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Interesting track crashes

On 31/12/18 4:15 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/29/2018 8:24 PM, James wrote:

Most touring bike frames are still made from steel, but I suspect that
a touring bike frame made from carbon fibre that weighs as much as a
steel frame, would last much longer.

Do people see many examples of touring frames failing?

From rust mostly I suspect ;-)

But that isn't a problem for a CFRP frame.

I've had friends who have broken sporty bike frames made of steel and
aluminum, but I can't recall anyone breaking a touring frame. It may be
because they're designed to handle riding with a full load, but they're
normally ridden empty. One can spend only so much time bike touring,
unless you really devote your entire life to it.

Once, long ago, we stopped at a Warm Showers host for the night. He was
a nice guy who had recently ridden from Illinois to New Mexico and back
on a bike identical to my touring Cannondale. He used wide tires and
rode a lot of gravel roads. By the time he got to New Mexico, the dirt
and gravel had ground a hole through the inside of each chainstay, right
next to the tire.

So what do you do when you've got two new holes in your frame and you're
1000 miles from home? In his case, he just rode the bike back home as it
was! He said he had no problems - but he did retire that frame. It was
hanging in his garage.

Yep. That damage could happen to any frame regardless of material. How
long before it happens depends on the abrasion resistance of the
material I suppose.

--
JS