Old August 20th 03, 04:45 PM
Brad

Default 4x4 choices for bikes and surf fishing... and family

I've driven my Jeep Wrangler on the NC outer banks beaches. It's
actually pretty tough conditions getting over the dune trails. I saw
a Subaru getting pulled out of the deep sand - he was buried up to his
frame, and two really big 4wd trucks were having trouble getting him
out. Depending on recent weather, you might have to drive quite a
distance through the softest, driest sand you can imagine, with really
deep tracks that require good clearance. On the beach I see mostly
4WD trucks and "normal/large" size SUVs, not the small ones. You need
to lower your tire pressure to 15-10 psi. Once you clear the really
soft sand you can drive easily. There's nothing like the outer banks
beaches - sometimes you can drive till you can barley see another
vehicle, and have a mile of beach all to yourself. Other times it's
like a parking lot of 4x4s. Not sure why. You can also ride a
mountain bike along the hard sand at the water's edge, but the sand
and salt are really bad for the bike...
Brad