Old August 20th 03, 05:25 PM
Marty S.

Default 4x4 choices for bikes and surf fishing... and family

This past April I had my GMC Sarfari AWD van on the beaches in Hatteras...
deflate the air pressure in your tires to 20psi and off you go!!!
Everything fits in, or, or behind the van.

--
Marty S.
Baltimore, MD USA

"James Y. Yang" wrote in message
om...
we're looking for a second car, and i'd like to get something that can
go onto the beaches here in nc (and elsewhere). i'm a longtime pier
fisher, but will be new to the beach and surf. it *is* necessary to
get a good 4x4 as a fisherman in nc, isn't it? i've heard there are
good parks to go camping at also, where you need 4x4 capability?

we also need the car to be decent or good on the road, for normal use.
we have a new baby... also, my s.o. is only 5'1" tall, while i'm 6' so
i don't want her to feel the truck is too high (getting in) or too big
(reaching the trunk, etc).

we're looking at the MAZDA TRIBUTE. We know it drives well on the
road... is the 4 wheel drive V6 reasonable for the beach?? Enough
power? Won't get stuck? I've heard compact suv's like the CRV are not
good that way..

any real differences on the FORD ESCAPE?
how is the Jeep liberty?
Toyota 4runner tops the charts but $$... would have to get a *more*
used one.

What do you all drive on the beach for fishing/camping/biking? i guess
ideally you want a truck truck for the beach, which probably doesn't
ride that well on the road, and a car car for everyday.... but what's
the best of both worlds, or the best compromise?... we have a budget
too to consider and we'd like to stay in the 15-22K range for a new,
or 1-2 year old, 20-30K miles type of bracket.

also, anyone know if a slim thule or other cargo box plus a couple
mountain bike trays would fit on top of the Mazda tribute?

can you email replies to me, if you also post?
thx in advance
james

posting problems, or contact the moderators, please see
http://rbor.org/