Old December 19th 06, 09:11 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
S Curtiss

Default NOMT

"David" wrote in message
ups.com...
First off, let me say that I am a avid hiker. I backpack a couple of
times a summer, and love the summer hiking season in the Sierra. My
fiance and I are planning a hike-in wedding next June. Two summers
ago, I hiked to the top of Mt Kilimanjaro. I think you get the picture.

I am also a bicyclist. I bike to work 2-3 days a week, and cycling is
my primary mode of exercise (along with walking and swimming).
Sacramento has a excellent array of good biking trails along the
American and Sacramento rivers, and I enjoy them a lot. I think it's
fair to say that I don't "hate" cyclists.

Having said all that... I also like the fact that there are places
where I can't ride my bike. Life moves at a slower pace... no clank of
metal... no dodging vehicles (it's bad enough I have to do that in the
city)... just me and the trail. Mountain bikers... have you ever
thought of getting off of your machine, and just going for a walk??
Could you handle going that slow??

I totally support the idea that there are places where mountain bikers
can go and share trails with hikers and equestrians, and hope there
will be more of them. But I also support the idea that there should be
wilderness areas where mechanized transport is not allowed.

And I know I'm opening up myself to something here... I also support
the idea that there are places where equestrian use is not appropriate.
I have many times in the high sierras, encountered horses scrambling
around on granite, with a look of total fear in their eyes, as their
metal shoes tear up the rock and trail. I don't think my vibram soled
LL Beans have ever broken up a granite slab. I had an equestrian
person once tell me that "horses have been indigenous to the Sierras
for thousands of years." This person went on to say that "Indians had
used horses to get through the mountains for centuries." My
understanding of history is that horses were introduced to North
America by the Spanish Conquistadors. Yet the equestrian lobby (which
is pretty influential) has used this cowboy mythology to keep their
access.

There are a couple of National Parks in Alaska, where the wilderness is
so deep, that there are not even any trails. If you want access to
them, you're on your own. I really like the idea that there are places
where there are NO people at all. Truly wild places... I'd love to
experience that. Wouldn't you??

Sorry for rambling... David.

A voice of commen sense and cooperation. Too bad that position is alien to
the hardliners that can not move beyond their own bias, perceptions and
egos.