Old November 1st 18, 04:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Crash Coregan

On Wednesday, October 31, 2018 at 7:15:27 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Snipped
Squirrels aren't very smart and they probably don't think about the
consequences of what they eat. I saw one scarf down a big mushroom the
size of a hand. The next day I saw a dead squirrel less than 10ft from
there. Who knows, maybe it wanted to go over the rainbow bridge with
some major brain fireworks.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Some people think that if they see a squirrel eating any mushroom that the mushroom is safe for humans too. That is utterly FALSE.

http://www.mushroomthejournal.com/gr...s/squir27.html

"According to Dr. John Rippon, an IMA member and world expert on fungal diseases, squirrels have an interesting adaptation that allows them to eat mushrooms containing deadly amanita-toxins without being affected. There are three important chemicals in the amanitas. Two will knock you right off, but are destroyed in cooking. The third one is the interesting one: it consists of the second amanitin, bound tightly to a glycoprotein molecule. When we digest the mushroom, the enzymes in our gut break the bond between the toxin and the glycoprotein, leaving the toxin free to enter our bloodstream, while the glycoprotein is excreted (a glycoprotein is a mucus molecule, in case you don't know). What the squirrels have done is line their gut with a toxin-compatible glycoprotein, so that as soon as it gets split from its original glycoprotein molecule, it gets rebound to the squirrel glycoprotein, and excreted along with it. Obviously, the squirrels don't cook their food to destroy the first two molecules, but presumably those get bound in exactly the same way. Thus, squirrels and a few other animals (guinea pigs also, I believe) can eat mushrooms that are highly toxic to other animals with no ill effects."

Also, certain amanita mushrooms/toadstools have a toxin that is NOT DESTROYED BY COOKING! Thus even if those are cooked they remain toxic to humans. Also, some varieties of the amanita genus of mushrooms/toadstools have NO KNOWN ANTIDOTE.

Cheers