Old May 4th 18, 07:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bob prohaska

Default Dynamo/LED power conditioning

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/4/2018 12:06 AM, bob prohaska wrote:

I'm curious, what make of dynamo got hot at 10 mph?

The glued-on label has faded out completely. Plain, drawn aluminum
case, steel mouting bracket. It's more slender than the Anlun in the
SJS link below and has a metal roller, with a single push-clip terminal.
I can post a photo if it's of interest.

I have ancient Union bottles on two bikes. I don't recall them ever
getting beyond very slightly warm - I'd guess maybe 90 degrees Fahrenheit.

This place has bottle dynamos:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/dynamos-bottle/
I've bought other stuff from them. Price and shipping speed seem very
competitive with American sources, and selection tends to be much better.

Now that I have the hub dynamo there's little incentive to go back, but
that is a link I didn't know about.

This place has been a good source for bulbs of all kinds:
http://www.reflectalite.com/
They also have LEDs that are drop-in replacements for halogen dyno
bulbs. I bought one for a friend and have another in a headlamp that
I've only bench tested in my basement. It seems very good, but I haven't
tried it on the road. It's not yet needed on any of my bikes.

That is a most interesting site, I can think of a couple reasons to
explore it further. Still, it's uncertain how well optics designed
for filaments will match to LEDs' larger source size. Also, it looks
as if the drop-in dynamo bulb replacements are only 1 W, leaving 2 W
or so excess get rid of. Odd they don't offer a 2.4 or 3 W version.

Thank you!

bob prohaska