Old June 1st 04, 10:51 AM
Roger Zoul

Default The next battle of the clipless

MarkR wrote:
:: I went out today with a friend for what I thought would be an easy
:: day to get used to the clipless. We rode in this strange area near
:: our houses. Right in the middle of a rural residential area is an
:: old mining area known as Logan Cut or "the cuts" of about 8000 acres.
::
:: It's an area everyone knows about but none of my friends or
:: acquantances have been in. As mentioned, it's an historic
:: hydrolically mined area.
::
:: Well, it turned out to be the most tecnically difficult riding I've
:: ever done. We rode for six hours (with breaks) and only covered 25
:: miles! It really got to me: going up steep (10 to 15%) hills, full
:: of ruts, and suddenly hitting deep mud or a patch of wet mining
:: tailings (about the consistency of talcum powder). No way I could
:: clip out in time. I went down five (yes five) times. None the worse
:: for wear except a skinned elbow and bruises, but I'm a little scared
:: of my bike and pedals right now. I DEFINITELY need to practice on
:: the clipless on less technical roads (pavement sounds real
:: interesting about now - at least red lights don't appear suddenly
:: with no warning!)
::

Wow. Mark -- it's time for some easy rides...otherwise, you may really get
fear of the saddle. Keep to routes you know well. I say short and
frequent.

I did 25 (I consider that short) on Sunday with no problems. Going again
this morning.

:: --
:: Mark Rehmar
:: Please remove *splinters* to reply by email