Old August 15th 07, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
CoyoteBoy

Default Idiots on the A1

On 15 Aug, 11:45, Artleknock wrote:
Before I start a rant - I have been a cyclist all my life.
On Sunday morning the 5th I was driving down the A1 about a couple of
miles short of the first A1M after Scotch corner when I joined a long
tail back of traffic. On finaly reaching the hold up it was a bloke on
a bike, drop handle bars, crash hat, lycra budgie smugglers, the
works, riding on the carriageway!! A bit further on there was a
marshal at the next turn off. The idiots were doing time trials on a
major trunk road on the same day that all the holiday makers were
heading home from up north.

There are always holiday makers heading home at some time or other, if
people stopped for that there would be month-long periods where no-one
rode in case they hit traffic. Since its not illegal to ride a bike on
A roads I would suggest they were doing nothing wrong, though they
could have picked a better day to do it. That said, why should one set
of road users not do something just because another assumes they have
priority?