Old October 25th 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default racing with asthma, face mask?

I am a respiratory therapist...who races alot.And uses an inhaler.It
improves my expiratory flows 25%.I have mild airway disease..still get
good results racing..

The first thing you need is a Peak Flow Meter to measure your
expiratory flows...Objective assessment is almost impossible w/o some
numbers...Get one ASAP,some Dr.s give them away.

Wearing a mask is not the answer.But there IS undoubtedly an answer to
your problems.Alot of info can be obtained online.Discontinuing your
inhalers was asking for a reoccurrence...Olympic Golds have been won by
athmatics who control their asthma by faithfully following a
program...if you truly have Reactive Airway Disease(RAD)ie asthma,then
you will need to be very disciplined in dealing with it ...and not
treat it only when you have problems....it is then too late...and you
suffer the effects..

There is so much more to say on this...but I am out of time.

Just my 2 cents,best of luck...east
wrote:
Does your doctor give you any reason why you're not responding to albuterol
or advair?

he tested for several possibilities (incorrect inhaling technique,
vocal cord dysfunction, heart disease, sinus infection) , but with no
results so far. Actually, he does not know about the recent
riding-induced relapse: getting an appointment with the HMO system
takes weeks/months. "Call your doctor if..." you hear in commercials is
a joke. You can't get qualified urgent care unless it's too late for
you.