Old December 7th 06, 08:31 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

Default Cold Face Mask?

MattB wrote:
Tom The Great wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Anyone suggest a cold face mask that limits the 'dryness' and
'coldness' of the air you breath? Something that doesn't create much
resistance.

thx,

tom

I always hate having my mouth and nose covered. I tried a neoprene mask
once but it got all wet and then iced up with condensation from my breath.

I just use a neck gaiter, hat, sometimes a hood, goggles, and the collar
of my jacket. That covers everything but my nose and mouth and works
pretty well for me down to about -15 0r -20 F. Any colder than that and
I just try not to be outside very long.

Matt

I'm with you on the neoprene mask. I don't feel that I can breathe well
through them. Makes me a bit claustrophobic, too....

I use a cheapo neck gaiter. It's a thin, loosely-woven poly material
that hangs off my nose and doesn't make contact with my mouth unless
I'm riding into a wind. I'm able to breathe without feeling like I'm
sucking air through a filter, and it keeps enough of the wind off. It
will get damp and weighty after a while, though.

Fullface helmet work decently too....

/s