View Single Post
Old March 11th 19, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zen Cycle
external usenet poster

Default The death of rim brakes?

On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 9:34:24 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I keep reading see all the bikes coming out and basically all disc brakes.. I cannot believe rim brakes are going to be gone but maybe I am just kidding myself. I frankly hate the disc brake look and certainly for a long time parts will be around but are these rim brakes a dead deal.

Deacon Mark

I wouldn't say they are dead, but I can certainly understand how one could interpret that trend. As lou mentioned, they are pretty much on life support for MTBs. Yes, brake parts are available, but you won'd find anything except for walmart special MTBs with rim brakes. I'd say you'll still see rim brakes on road bikes for some time to come, but it probably won't be long before you see some manufacturers making nothing but disc brake road bikes. As of now, very few manufacturers are making rim brake CX bikes, and cannondale has gone so far as to replace the rear brake bridge with a "rear fender mounting bridge" on their CAADX. I don't think you'll have much of a problem buying rim brake road wheels for quite a while though.
Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home