Old March 15th 19, 01:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default The death of rim brakes?

On Thursday, March 14, 2019 at 7:07:22 PM UTC-4, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 07:39:01 +1100, James
wrote:

On 14/3/19 3:54 pm, John B. Slocomb wrote:

I read something to that effect the other day. Some sort of
environmentalist site I think. I wonder what the tree huggers do when
a cougar eats their pet dog :-)

I think that is acceptable because ... nature.

I'm not against environmental issues at all, just those who propose
some "solution" without any thought at all. People that protest fox
hunting while eating a McDonalds hamburger, for instance :-)

There was something similar I read a little while back, about a
Queensland politician who was photographed next to a pile of dead feral
pigs. Apparently it is an annual event, to go shoot a heap of feral
pigs, where he is from. Some city greens got all up tight about it and
proposed that the pigs should be rounded up and sent to a pasture of
their own somewhere. I think they were being serious. Made it all the
more laughable.

My usual argument for the more obnoxious Environmental is to ask
something like "Oh! Will you take a pair of wild pigs at your house".

Their usual response, "Oh! The government's got to do that" to which I
reply, "Are you willing to pay more in taxes to take care of the
pigs?"

The point is that most, if not all, of the devoted are not willing to
actually do anything about what they are ranting and waving their arms
about.

--
Cheers,
John B.

I just love the environmentalists and animal lovers. Some of them re absolutely clueless.

Many years ago I rescued and raised to racoon kits*. One of them used to climb up on me and wrap himself around my neck and go to sleep. He liked children and because of that I'd often take him to a nearby school to do a presentation with the children there. One cool day I was walking to the school and the racoon was wrapped around my neck and dozing. Some woman came up to me and started to berate me for having a dead racoon fur just to keep my neck warm. then she tried to grab the racoon fur and abscond with it. I still chuckle today when I recall the look on her face when the racoon hissed at her and her response, "Oh my God it's alive!" I told her not to be so hasty to judge things.

Cheers

* When I found the two racoon kits it was clear they were abandoned. Unfortunately I could not interest any of the animal welfare groups in our area to look after them and thus I was the one who raised them.