Old May 19th 17, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
RJH[_2_]

Default Dashcam footage captures cyclist being 'doored' before carnarrowly avoids running him over

On 19/05/2017 16:52, MrCheerful wrote:
On 19/05/2017 16:06, Nick wrote:
On 19/05/2017 12:44, MrCheerful wrote:

The camera car was not making any attempt to overtake afaics.

I'm not sure but it looked to me as if the car was closing on the
cyclist as if it were going to overtake. Given what happened we can see
why close overtakes are so dangerous.

If cyclists had compulsory roadcraft education before being allowed on
the road, crashes like this one would be greatly reduced.

Possibly but the danger clearly can from the van and the car. I feel it
is more their responsibility to avoid accidents than it is the cyclists.

If everyone used the roads defensively then crashes would reduce, that
has to include cyclists.

People make mistakes all the time, that will always happen, but as can
be seen in this incident, the cyclist would not have crashed if he had
been riding at a sensible distance from the side of the van. The
cyclist positioning had been chosen by the cyclist, better education in
roadcraft would have meant he made a better choice.

I information: the van has a door that may open.
P Position: Further away, would obviate the problem if the door is opened.

You've not mentioned the car approaching from behind as an 'I' affecting
'P'. We don't know the sound coming from that car - could be they're
holding in second to intimidate the cyclist. maybe an earlier
altercation. Or not.

And as I've tried to explain, a cyclist has to weigh up the risk - say,
the driver tailing them and contact, or the possibility of a door
opening. They then estimate the greater risk.

That road looks like a pile of accidents waiting to happen - narrow,
parked cars, busy. I'd avoid it on a cycle.

--
Cheers, Rob