Old April 24th 08, 12:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default What the hell happened to our newsgroup?

.org...
On 2008-04-24, ZBicyclist wrote:

Same here. I finally had to killfile Google Groups (minus a select
whitelist) to manage it.

As usual. KMZ has it right. I am notoriously cheap and lazy, so I use
Comcast/AT&T (my ISP) for my news server at home, using OE for the
interface. FF is better, but I don't like clicking so many times to killfile
stuff.

I use my no additional charge (bundled with rent) VDSL service, a free
news server and free Thunderbird (Mozilla, not Gallo). I am cheap.

At work, I use a free browse-only news server (text-groups only), with IE as
the interface for GG. I prefer the OE interface (over IE) for browsing,
because it is easier to see who is replying to whom. But if I want to post
or reply, I need to switch over to IE/GG.

Certainly not an elegant system, but not bad once you get used to it.

Google Groups is useless because they suspend your posting privileges
for several hours if you send more than a couple of dozen posts, which
makes it hard to participate in flame wars.