Old December 6th 18, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default A few months waxing chain

On 12/5/2018 6:28 PM, John B. slocomb wrote:
On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 12:42:25 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 12/5/2018 10:35 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/4/2018 9:42 PM, John B. slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 14:48:25 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 3:33:15 AM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

fantasy ~ nounĀ* ~ Imagination unrestricted by reality.

cheers,

John B.

Or perhaps he's either simply trolling or arguing for the sake of
arguing?

Cheers

Over the years I have spent many hours cleaning that wax residue off
cogs and rings. I have disassembled and scrapped and finally used
acetone to clean off the remainder until changing to Rock and Roll.
Now no residue. But apparently you sat here with me and showed me
that there was no such thing.

Tom, I have to believe that you either don't know what you are talking
about or simply a liar.

I believe Tom. No reason to doubt his description.

I've seen waxed chain systems as Frank describes, shiny and neat but
I've also seen gear trains more encrusted with wax than the floor under
The Virgin Mary's niche.

And as I said in a slightly different context:

My method is unusual. I don't remove the chain and soak it in a hot pot
of molten wax. Instead, while my chain is still on my bike, I use a
low-flame propane torch to warm the chain about 15 links at a time,
apply the wax/oil cake like using a crayon, then reheat those links
until I see the wax flow into the chain bits. I then backpedal and repeat.

Here's the pertinent part: When the entire chain's done but still warm,
I backpedal the chain while gripping it with a handful of paper towels.
I think that gets a lot of excess external wax off the chain. Maybe
othes who do the hot wax soak have too much wax caked on their chain? I
don't know.

If you use heated wax and simply pop the chain into the wax and leave
it there for a bit the chain is heated to roughly the same temperature
as the molten wax and if the chain is removed from the wax and simply
hung up to cool there is relatively little wax on the outside of the
chain.

(But of course, this requires the chain to be removed from the
bicycle.... or a very large pot :-)

I still remember the first time I used paraffin, in 1976. I'd just read
about it for the first time, and we were preparing to take our bikes to
Britain for the first overseas bike (and train) tour. British Airways
didn't require disassembly or boxing the bikes, but I thought this
purportedly clean chain lube would make sense.

I don't remember how I heated the wax. I do remember taking the hot,
dripping chain outside and whirling it around to get excess wax off it.

I don't remember any excess wax on the gear train, but I was
disappointed with the performance of the pure paraffin. The chains did
well until the first rain during that bike tour, then they squeaked. So
I went back to using oil on that tour.

It was a long time before I either generated or encountered the idea of
adding a bit of oil to the paraffin, and it a little while after that I
got tired of removing the chain and decided to try heating it on the
bike. For me, this works best.

--
- Frank Krygowski