Old August 22nd 19, 12:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default internal wrenching bolt

On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 2:13:36 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
This is a USAF spec internal wrenching bolt:
https://www.skygeek.com/military-sta...rilled-hd.html

Here's a DIN912 cap screw:
https://4.imimg.com/data4/SG/TV/MY-2...ws-500x500.jpg

or smooth side version:
https://img.accu.co.uk/products/SSCF-A2_lg.jpg

Tom has a point in that most linear ("V") brake anchors do
not have cylindrical heads and actually do look more like an
'internal wrenching bolt':

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/9e1...0&odnBg=FFFFFF

p.s.
A metric DIN #912 cap screw is usually under a dollar. Not
so with Actual Bicycle Parts!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tektro-An... 34&tmode=0000

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

https://www.target.com/p/campagnolo-...wNFg&gclsrc=ds

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Cla...3ef26f3516cfe5

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nos-Shimano...AOSwpRRWmRt Z

Here is the same shape used as a nut. This makes the design of the lengths very complicated though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nos-Shimano...AOSw4O9beMP P

It took several years for them to apply this and as I said, it has a strict engineering use. It spreads the pressure on the washer under it that is used to lock the cables.

I was in the Ace Hardware looking for some metric bolts and came across the entire size and length variations in a series of bins.