Old September 21st 19, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Article about SRAM in Forbes

On 9/20/2019 6:55 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, September 20, 2019 at 2:25:09 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/20/2019 3:56 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 7:58:25 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/19/2019 5:32 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Wednesday, September 18, 2019 at 8:15:22 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/18/2019 3:58 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Tuesday, September 17, 2019 at 2:35:03 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/17/2019 2:21 PM, wrote:

OK. As long as you know you are doing the change for completely aesthetic reasons. For performance, there ain't no difference. I have Record, Chorus, Centaur, Veloce, and a Mirage part or two on 9 and 10 speed bikes. No difference in performance.

+1

Record and Chorus are MILES ahead of the rest of the line in performance. The throw is less and the motions of the components are such that you don't have to mess about nearly do much to stop noises.

I absolutely would have kept Centaur or below if there weren't these differences because the price difference is so substantial. Even the Record cassettes shift cleaner. The Record cable set and the chains are better.

Though I am presently testing one of those Connex super-chains and so far it seems to be the best I've used. No noises and shifts great after 400+ miles. I think that you're the one that recommended that and if so you're seem to be 100% correct.

OK: Since I have worked on only a few Campy components and owned even
fewer, can someone detail the mechanical and/or material differences
between the different levels of Campy equipment? To keep it simple,
let's discuss just the rear derailleurs. I'm just curious.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank, are you saying that there's no difference between Shimano Tiagra and DuraAce? Please mak3e that clear.

No, Tom. And damn, I'm trying to ask a serious technical question! Don't
ascribe evil intent to a question about mechanical design!

At least some people say there is a difference in feel or performance
between different levels of Campy equipment. Ditto for top levels of
Shimano equipment. I'm a mechanical engineer. I'm curious about the
mechanical reasons for the differences.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank, whatever you were trying to do certainly didn't look serious.

Tom, if I told you water was wet, you'd tell me that was just a
left-wing conspiracy. Damn, I hope you get your medications sorted out!

The top line components aren't just polished more. Their entire interior components are not just built to more accurate standards and better materials but often use entirely different bearings or bearing material.

I'm asking for _details_ on the mechanical and/or material differences.
Obviously, you don't know the answer.

Which would be fine; after all, I don't know the answer either. But I'm
honest enough to ask, whereas you prefer to attack and blather.

So tell is Frank - how would you tell the difference between a carbon cloth lever and a carbon fiber lever with a cloth cover? You have never used anything but lower end components. No big deal but your inference wasn't that you actually wanted to know what the difference was but rather why anyone would buy higher end parts as if the only difference was price and polish.

You never used high end parts and you simply don't believe that there is any difference. If the people here say that you can feel the difference you think of them as stupid people because you're an engineer and know that you can't tell the difference between a ball bearing lever and a plain bearing lever with hand pressure.

Let's face it Frank - your age got you last century.

I was making no inference at all. I was asking an honest technical
question.

You are deeply paranoid, and at _least_ need to have your doctor review
your medications. There's a chance something can be done for you.
--
- Frank Krygowski