Old April 10th 14, 03:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Oh, thank you, helmet zealots!

On Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:13:00 PM UTC-7, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 10:34:11 +0700,

As an addendum to my above, don't women normally wear a hat, or other
head covering, when they enter a church? I seem to remember that it
was the practice at one time.

When I was very small, women wore hats every time they left the house.
Mom once told a story about a day so cold and windy that a
particularly-refined acquaintance gave in and wore a scarf instead of
a hat.

Scarves were for little girls. The fashions changed fast enough that
I never stopped wearing head scarves -- there is nothing warmer,
especially if you pin your scarf instead of tying it under the chin as
children did. (A good all-leather, fur-lined flight helmet is quicker
to get on and off than the equivalent warmth in scarves.)

Hats for very dressy occasions were at least permitted well into the
sixties. But it's been a long time since I owned a hat that I
wouldn't take off when under a roof.

Joy Beeson, U.S.A., mostly central Hoosier,

Joy you old bat. Don't try to explain to anyone the lives of Christmas past. We lived in a time where respect and self-respect was common.