Old September 18th 17, 04:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Front bike rack on buses, heavy bikes

On 9/17/2017 9:34 AM, Joerg wrote:

snip

We don't have deals like that here but public buses have come a long way
in the last five years for our county. Light rail allows bikes inside so
no problem. Buses unfortunately not. The other challenge is that you
can't count on availability for the way back. If both racks are occupied
you are screwed, have to pedal back and be late. So I'd only use it for
the way out even though that's downhill.

Check your transit agency's policies. For ours: "When the racks are
filled, up to two bicycles will be allowed inside the bus subject to the
driver's discretion when passenger loads are light." And passenger loads
on VTA are almost always light. But for SACRT they say: "Bikes are not
allowed inside RT buses unless it is the last bus on the route that day,
and the bike carrier is full."

Caltrain is the problem. Even though all trains can hold either 72 or 80
bicycles, cyclists still get bumped, especially on the horribly misnamed
"Baby Bullet," limited stop train which fills most of the way at the
origin in San Jose or San Francisco. I get on in Sunnyvale, and I began
taking a folding bicycle to ensure access.