Old October 30th 17, 08:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Why do some forks and frames have brake rotor size limits?

On 2017-10-30 08:33,
wrote:

Joerg, heroics can also be described as riding a really heavy
bike such as yours at any pace above mild.

That's not heroic because it doesn't come with additional risk.
Over time you just build up a lot of leg muscle. This also helps
for rides with the road bike like yesterday. I rode along a canal
bike path purely for exercise. It's otherwise a boring ride but ...
no speed limit ... woohoo! The path sometimes tunnels underneath
roads and such but for some obstacles it runs above, steep
sections. With enough leg muscle you don't have to shift, just
leave it in high gear, put on the coals so you reach 25mph or more
at the bottom, keep the torque on until it crests and then let it
coast back down. I didn't shift at all until I reached the Cosumnes
River where I had my snack break. Four years ago I couldn't have
done that.

I have to differ with you there. Climbing is only half of it.
Descending is the other half and a heavy bike under any conditions is
a dangerous downhill bike if you do not know the trail intimately.

It's a canal bike trail, long straight shot, very wide. Almost like a
midwest freeway. You could go 50mph and be totally safe.

https://cdn-assets.alltrails.com/upl...31324781d8.jpg

The only real danger there is falling asleep and veering off the side.
Probably happens, sometimes a soft curve like this comes and you see
screech marks:

https://cloudfront.traillink.com/pho...l_27481_lb.jpg

At 29:15min you can see a small hump, the ones on the sides are a bit
higher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-3gnLIUum0

--
Regards, Joerg