Old November 11th 04, 02:17 PM
Peter Clinch

Jack Ouzzi wrote:
Narrow bridge, room for vehicle and cyclist to pass two ways, but not
two vehicles (cars) signed priority system in place.

Is a bicycle a 'vehicle' ??

Yes. From http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk (full text of tHC online), the
Rules for Cyclists start "These rules are in addition to those in the
following sections, which apply to all vehicles (except the motorway
section)."

Where powered vehicles are specifically covered but not cycles, the term
"motor vehicles" is used. For example, Annex 3, Motor Vehicle
documentation and learner driver requirements.

Further note the prohibition sign consisting of a plain white field,
which means "No vehicles except bicycles being pushed".

In practice I'm happy to yield right of way to someone in a motor
vehicle if they'd be held up a lot longer than I will waiting for them
(typical example is a steepish hill on my return from Tescos with parked
cars making it effectively single track but I get right of way from them
being parked on the other side from me, but it would be plain
inconsiderate for me to demand RoW while I spend a couple of minutes
chuntering up with 20 Kg of shopping when the car at the top would be
down in seconds), but I'll make sure I take it if all else is equal and
I think they've get the time to stop!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK