Old August 26th 06, 04:29 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default "A Comparative Study of Impacts to Mountain Bike Trails in Five Common Ecological Regions of the Southwestern U.S."

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:00:33 -0400, ChainSmoker
wrote:

Papouchis, Singer and Sloan: Hikers have greatest impact on bighorn Sheep

The authors observed 1,029 bighorn sheep/human interactions in two
areas, a high-use and a low-use, of Canyonlands National Park, Utah, in
1993 and 1994. They compared behavioral responses, distances moved, and
duration of responses to vehicles, mountain bikers, and humans on foot.
Hikers caused the most severe responses in desert bighorn sheep (animals
fled in 61% of encounters), followed by vehicles (17%) and mountain
bikers (6%)

Of course you conveniently omitted the fact that the "hikers" were
researchers, and were TOLD to approach the sheep, just as the mountain
bikers were told to keep riding and NOT approach the sheep. That makes
the entire study WORTHLESS!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande