Old February 2nd 08, 03:24 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default Dangerous bike lane obstructions in Redwood City

Eric Vey wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
Not good form to reply to my own post, but what I said might mislead
people to what I believe. I absolutely believe that cyclists should
have the same rights to the roads as cars, but I do not agree that
"bicycle lanes" are "separate and unequal", provided it's not
required that one use them. Bicycle lanes are generally, in my
opinion, a good thing, not bad, because they signal to people (both
motorists and potential cyclists) that bicycles are a part of the
transportation network. But it must be done within a framework that
says bikes aren't *required* to use certain paths & routes, it must
be an option. And hopefully, a desirable option....

What is needed is a suspension of the licenses of of the badly
behaving cagers, along with the mandatory use of a bicycle for
transportation during the license suspension period.

I have been looking into this recently. What I am finding is that people
in Florida with suspended and revoked licenses keep driving anyway.

Around here, many do not have licenses - generally they run from the
police, ditch the unlicensed and/or stolen car, and try to escape on
foot. They are not to blame, since they are what the system wants them
to be, a permanent underclass.

Eventually, because they are dangerous, they kill someone and then there
is a reluctance to use the Vehicular Homicide statute against them. I'm
trying to determine why both of these things are true, but ask any cop
around here about a recent Vehicular Homicide and they start rolling
their eyes a say "They will get off" and "we haul in at least 20 people
a month (in a small town) for driving with a suspended license and then
watch them as they drive themselves home from the jail."

Yet another undesirable group in Florida?

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth