Old February 27th 09, 04:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Which Brooks saddle?

On Feb 26, 10:04*pm, Andre Jute wrote:
A writer sits all day. My bum gets awfully tired. When I go on my
bike, I want my bum soothed, or at least not further bruised. I'm
thinking of getting a Brooks saddle to replace my Cheeko 90, which is
getting a bit tacky. (The alternative is to recover the Cheeko 90 in
honey leather of which I have plenty, though I don't know how it will
stand up to weather as it is off indoor Swedish furniture we trashed
so I could use the seasoned wood for my geribike experiments.)

I ride an hour a day, two hours a day for longer rides, never more.
Total mileage in the order of 2000m/3200km per year, creeping up
slowly.

Which Brooks model would be advisable for a guy who weighs 215 pounds?

I use the B17 on my touring bike. Swift on two racing bikes. And
Professional on two road bikes. Pro is the unbroken in version of
Team Pro. I'm a few pounds lighter if that matters, it doesn't. B17
is widest, then the Pro, then the Swift is kind of narrow but not
compared to current racing saddles. All are comfortable for me.

B17 is the mainstay and is cheapest.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ Has good prices on Brooks
saddles. England site.

Should I prefer one of the models with helical springs at the back?

Extra weight if that matters. I've never been uncomfortable with
regular Brooks so don't see a reason to add a suspension. You already
have Fat Albert tires for suspension.

Would one of the "aged" models give me a headstart on comfort.

No. They just wear out faster. Get the unbroken in models and break
it in by using it. And oiling it. I find them comfortable from day
one.

General advice and personal anecdotes equally welcome.

I thought that I might get those Brooks edgewise leather-circle
handlebar grips that Jay Bollyn mentioned last year to match the
saddle. Opinion?

Andre Jute
Brooks saddle going onto this bike:
*http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/Andre%20Jute's%20Utopia%20Kranich....