Old August 21st 17, 08:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

Default Eclipse -- Ten Minutes to Totality!

On 8/21/2017 10:02 AM, jbeattie wrote:
Or near totality. I think I get 99.5% from my office. Traffic was supposed to be horrible this morning with last-minute gawkers heading south to total totality, but there was nobody on the road. It was great.

I'm going to go look at the sun and go blind because that's what they say you should do. I have the special glasses, but they don't look good on me.

-- Jay Beattie.

Down here in Salem totality land, it was pretty cool looking at that big
black dot in the sky with the bright edges.

You could see tiny red/orange flashes around the edges, even with the
naked eye, though better with binoculars. Solar flares I presume. That
2-ish minutes passed very quickly.

The family made noise and scared away the cosmic goat that was eating
the sun. You can thank me by sending contributions to my bike parts fund.

Now ODOT's website shows stop-and-go traffic on I-5 for 30 miles in
either direction leaving Salem.

Back to our regularly scheduled program.

Mark J.