Old August 24th 18, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Sunscreen for bicycling

On 2018-08-21 11:22, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 07:23:43 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-08-20 18:45, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 14:50:44 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-08-20 14:43, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 13:55:46 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-08-20 13:36, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 12:23:34 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-08-20 12:13,
On Monday, August 20, 2018 at 12:00:57 PM UTC-7,
On 2018-08-20 11:26,
wrote:
On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 7:29:00 PM
UTC-7, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 00:05:16 -0000 (UTC),
bob prohaska wrote:

Does anybody have suggestions for
sunscreen to wear while bicycling?

My cancer doctor said to use zinc sunblock
on fresh scars. (My current scar is under
my hatband, so all I use is E-oil and a
white linen do-rag.)

I'm currently using Kroger's knock-off of
Neutrogena 70; when it runs out, I plan to
start snitching my spouse's Neutrogena 100,
so as to use it up faster.

I used to use a cheaper sunblock on my arms
and legs, but when it ran out, I began to
put the same stuff everywhere. I usually
coat only the outside of the calf muscle on
my legs, because that is where I got a
brown streak when I could ride that long.
I rub my arms together like a cricket, and
put an extra layer on what sticks out of my
sleeves. (In hot weather, I wear long
linen sleeves -- and on my last few rides
they got soaking wet without spitting water
on them.) I still have brown, speckled
arms. And there's a patch on the back of
my hand even though I put on another layer
of 50-SPF sunscreen every time I take off
my gloves.

The stick sunscreen is running out and I
haven't yet found another that fits into my
pocket. I recently realized that I can put
lotion into a lip-salve box -- if I can
find one that isn't identical in every way
to the box I carry A&D in.

I used to carry hand cleaner in my tool
kit. A&D cleans hands just fine, and has a
lot of other uses. Also, nowadays, I fix
flats with my cell phone, so I don't need a
grease remover.

-- Joy Beeson joy beeson at comcast dot
net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Well, I can recommend the Neutrogena 100+.
Did a long hard ride mostly in direct
sunlight yesterday and my tan didn't change
at all.

Once you have developed a good tan it won't
change much any more. Sometimes when working in
the yard for a few minutes I get carried away
and cut bushes for a couple hours. No sun
screen at that time but the tan doesn't change
anymore. Since moving to California in the 90's
I also don't seem to get sun burns anymore.

My ride was out towards the Altemont Pass. If
there is enough sun my arms will turn red as if I
got a sunburn but they will be brown again the
next day. But with that 100+ there was absolutely
NO reaction.

Turning red is critical even if it "heals" in a
day. I had that as well years ago but somehow not
anymore. It all just tans a bit more over the
weeks.

On of my riding buddies has very white skin,
Irish/Scandinavian type. So he uses SPF100 like you
do and no tan or burn ever develops.

One thing to remember is that a tan does not prevent
UV damage to the skin.

Yeah, that's a problem. However, people in countries
where the majority has naturally darker skin fare much
better in terms of skin cancer rates despite a much
higher UV exposu

That is certainly true but on the other hand all of the
Caucasians I know who have developed skin cancer in their
later years were outdoors people that had a good tan for
much of their life.

The ones I know or knew :-( ... were mostly light-skinned
Caucasians with a more Nordic ethnic background. They
didn't easily develop a tan but red skin and then blisters.
Some of them essentially remained red all summer. AFAIK
that is how the term redneck developed.

Nope :-) A Redneck was originally a term used for a farmer.
He followed a mule around the field all day and the back of
his neck got sunburned.

Sunburned. That's exactly what I said. It got red because the
farmer was of Northern European ancestry and, therefore, his
skin burned easily. A farmer of Southern European, South Asian
or African ethnicity could plow the field all day and not get
sunburned.

Not necessarily only Northern European ancestry. Nearly all races
will react to hot sun. When I was at Eniwetok the guy in the next
cot, in the tent we lived in, was a Negro and he got got
suprisingly darker after a time on the island. Japanese,
particularly women, will sunburn and Chinese, and, and, and.

Sure, the tanning mechanism is the same. However, since they have
an intense natural tan the prevalence of skin cancer in, for
example, African Americans is hugely lower:

-- Regards, Joerg

Not so Joerg, EVERYONE gets sunburned. Just because a black man's
skin doesn't show red doesn't mean that he doesn't sunburn. Remember
that Homosapiens came from Northern Africa so precisely the same
mechanism is at work on everyone. Just because a Chinese farmer is
out in the sun all the time to the extent that he has enough melanin
to block most of the UVA that he is exposed to in his area doesn't
mean that he wouldn't burn to a crisp elsewhere. This is why Arabs
are always totally covered.

Then why is the propensity to develop skin cancer about an order of
magnitude higher in Caucasians versus African-Americans?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/