Old March 12th 07, 10:48 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Default Run over by a ute

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 12 Mar 2007 21:32:19 +1100
gplama wrote:

Scott Blanch Wrote:

.... and I wasn't wearing high viz clothing but a blue
wife-beater singlet and brown back pack so I guess I can accept some
of
the blame.

Wrong.

Definitely wrong.

If the ute driver couldn't see, then the ute driver shouldn't have
moved forward.

That the driver wasn't paying attention is rather obvious. Don't say
anything at all about clothing, if they say you weren't you say "Is it
required by law? If not then you can't use that as an excuse for not
paying attention".

Hi-vis clothing is to try and trigger an exception processor. That's a
very high risk procedure as the more focused on something else the driver
is, the less likely the exception will register. And the more they'll
say "you couldn't expect me to pay attention to you" to divert blame.

The fault's not in the clothing, it's in the driver not using their brain
for the job they should be doing, but for some other job. It seems the
job they were doing was "get where I'm going" not "drive with due care
and attention". Don't reward them for doing the wrong job.

Zebee