Old August 15th 07, 05:51 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Keats

Default We Have a President That Rides A Bike Now!

"still me" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 08:52:40 -0500, "Keats" wrote:

"Avoiding long-term poverty is not rocket science. First, graduate from
high
school. Second, get married before you have children, and stay married.
Third, work at any kind of job, even one that starts out paying the
minimum
wage. And, finally, avoid engaging in criminal behavior. If you graduate
from high school today with a B or C average, in most places in our
country
there's a low-cost or financially assisted post-high-school education
program available to increase your skills.

Statistically this is true. Obviously avoiding poverty are choices best
made early in life. Obviously, you can't let yourself be sucked into
victimhood by those whose self interest it is to have you in poverty so
they
can be your poverty pimp, or have you in their voter constituency, or
just
feel good about themselves such as some social workers and other non-
helpful do-gooders. The choices to not be poor come easy and natural for
most people brought up in a non-poverty family, but if you are born into
poverty you will most likely need outside influence to get you off the
poverty track in as much as there are powerful forces working from within
to keep you in place.

Nice theory, but it doesn't wash. I'm no fan of endless, wasteful
social programs, but the very people promoting the financial
assistance programs you cite are the Democrats - who you accuse of
having some farfetched conspiracy to keep people in poverty.

Logic just defeated you.

Can you point me to any congressional democrat promoting the Bush
administration's Department of Education? Most of them seem to be like
you - never uttering a positive word.

As Walter Williams said avoiding long-term poverty is not rocket science.
Graduate from high school. Get married before you have children and stay
married. Get a job and increase your skills. Don't be a criminal. Nothing
too complicated there, eh? Find me a democrat saying these things and I'll
show you a extraordinarily good democrat. But unfortunately this language
isn't part of their talking points or of your own thoughts and speech.

Keats