Old November 2nd 17, 12:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Why do some forks and frames have brake rotor size limits?

On 2017-10-31 07:27,
On 2017-10-29 17:09, Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

It doesn't pay to be timid. Man up.

Why take the risk when there are alternatives such as this?

https://goo.gl/maps/XJk1gMRC2eA2

A bike lane plus segregated bike path plus bicycle bridge, all
seamlessly connecting to the Folsom bike path system and the
American River bike trail. Plus a lot of parks. That area is a
cyclists paradise. During rush hour it gets quite busy.

So what you're saying is that the percentage of bicyclists deaths
can be changed from nearly nothing to nothing?

It isn't nothing. About one a month in our local paper. However,
again, this is not only about deaths but also serious injury. I
personally knew people who have had that happen, usually by being
hit from behind. One woman wasn't able to ride for years because
she ended up underneath a Ford F-150. Later she never regained her
old performance level because some stuff didn't heal.

I'm certainly not saying that injuries aren't serious. Apparently the
pain I presently have in my right arm was caused by that crash I had
in July. It didn't bother me until maybe a month ago. Now I have to
go through physical therapy to try and quell the pain in my shoulder
from a torn ligament.

These sorts of things will always be around. The safest you can ever
hope to be is 100 times less safe than you would like to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdWsSB9QGkY

It is somewhat strange to me that no one seems to know why brakes
react the way they do. "disk brakes have more modulation". Well
that's because a rim brake has more leverage. There is a wider
distance between application of the disk brake and the full lock
position. I don't have any trouble with brake cables or quick
releases making noises.

I don't either and I am happy with the modulation of rims as well as
disc brakes. Just as the rider in the video say, disc brakes are worth
it in area that get a lot of rain. Such as here.

Looking at the available disk brake videos I have questions as to the
techniques they used to make these tests which showed good rim brakes
measurably less effective than disks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdWsSB9QGkY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHFSSXOSnxs

IME there is only an advantage of disc brakes when it's wet out there.
Especially after riding through standing water and then having to stop hard.

I was incorrect about increased drag from disks: the difference was
too slight to mention.

Provided the set-up is done right they don't drag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXQuSnKkS-I

My personal experiece with disk brakes is not particularly good. On
the heavy Trek HiFi they were very good. On my Redline Cyclocross
bike they are all hell and gone too powerful. I installed these when
the Shimano cantilever brakes on my Ridley couldn't stop a
caterpillar in full flight.

Later I installed TRP 9.0 V-brakes on the Ridley and even though the
Ridley is a lot heavier than the Redline, the braking was much more
predictable and powerful.

I've never issues with any brake in good weather. Just serious ones with
rim brakes in rain, sleet, snow, mud or after water puddles or creek
crossings. With disc brakes I can simply plow through and not worry
about a thing.

The fact that disc brakes don't eat rims is a definite bonus as well.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/