Old November 19th 18, 11:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Chain Lube?

On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 08:56:04 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 3:54:48 AM UTC-8, Duane wrote:
sms wrote:
On 11/18/2018 10:35 AM,
wrote:

snip

John, the popping of the bubbles that compose the foam puts a pressure
inside the foam where it contacts the rollers. I'm not one to have a
great deal of faith in this but it does appear to be plenty of lube
everywhere including your chainstay and everyone within a yard of the operation.

The best I've used is Rock and Roll. This contains a Teflon lubricant in
a solvent. You roll the chain and liberally spray the stuff on the
chain/rear cassette for several revolutions of the chain. The solvent
washes off the dirt and old lubricant. You then use a cloth to wipe as
much of the chain dry as possible and then allow the chain to dry
overnight. The Teflon penetrates between the rollers and the solvent
evaporates overnight. So you have a clean chain that actually does have
lubrication that you can actually feel and it is dry so the chain
doesn't pick up dirt or leave muck on the chain rings and cogs. Of
course this stuff is as expensive as gold and you have to use it fairly
often to clean everything.

I will give this a try. The foaming chain lubricant works wonderfully
well as a lubricant but you have to clean the chain first.

I think that I speak for many here in that we are Looking to minimize
time spent on chain maintenance while still having a chain that is both
cleaned and lubed. A little extra money is worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IQCMD4

From the question/answer section:

Question: Does the RnR Gold clean the chain? Or do I still need a
degreaser?
Answer: RnR Gold is not a cleaner, Clean your chain before you
lube it and make sure to wipe off the excess so that it doesn't collect
dust and dirt.

--
duane

"The “King of Lubes” has three chain lubes: The EXTREME,
ABSOLUTE DRY, and GOLD. All three are formulated to clean and lube at the same time when applied. "

My goodness! For once you got it right as the R&R add says
specifically "Cleans and lubricates simultaneously".
https://www.amazon.com/Rock-N-Roll-G.../dp/B07CRFYPBS

Of course, you got to wipe the dirt off with your own hands as stated
in
http://www.rocklube.com/

cheers,

John B.