Old November 4th 04, 01:00 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Anyway, what is clip vs clipless?

You say you use "normal old flat pedals". On some such pedals, you can get a
little metal or plastic "cage" or "cup" effect that is at the front of the
pedal. You place your toe in this, with the ball of your foot on the platform
pedal. This is a pedal with a toe*clip* Some toeclips have a strap which you
can tighten to secure your foot to the pedal.

Clipless pedals have a system where on the sole of the shoe you wear to cycle
is a cleat. The cleat clips into the pedal so your foot is securely held
without the need for a toeclip. Similar to the way a skiboot clips into the
binding on a ski.

As clipless pedals don't have a *toeclip* to keep you foot on the pedal, but a
*cleat* on the sole of the shoe, then this is why they are called clipless
pedals. But yes, you do clip in and clip out of your clipless pedals ;-)

There are various systems of clipless pedals available... Loook, spd, Time,
Wellgo, Eggbeaters... all variation on a theme and it's individual choice as to
which system you find best for you.

I changed to clipless from normal pedals because I was given a pair of Look
shoes (with cleats) for free. So I went out and got a set of Look pedals -
basic ones, not the ultra expensive type. They took a bit of getting used to -
I did the standard forgetting to unclip before the bike stopped, which resulted
in me finding the one positive of having a fat rear end - padding in a fall ;-)
Clipping in and out qucikly became second nature and I would not willingly go
back to "normal" pedals. Clipless are simply better at allowing you to pedal
efficiently. As you effectively pull on the upstroke of the pedal action, the
need to push on the downstroke is reduced - so better pedalling for less
effort. Certainly my knees noticed the difference.

Cheers, helen s

**$om $