Old November 4th 04, 01:05 PM
Peter Cole

"Badger_South" wrote

Think about it, though. You get an inexpensive pedal and an inexpensive
shoe and it might work for you, but for most newbies, I say get solid
middle-of-the-line shoes, be prepared to pay 50-80 bucks. You -do- get

what
you pay for. You'll presumably be using these for 20-30 days per month

and
you want something that's durable, functional and comfortable. You go

cheap
on the shoe and I'd wonder if you'd not regret that. You also want them

look cool. Again, spending a lot of time in them.

On the pedals, don't get the very bottom of the line, go up one and get

the
SPD M520. Solid performers and something that you're gonna be depending

on
quite heavily.

Wellgo is a brand of Taiwanese pedals that is re-labeled by several brands
(Performance, Nashbar, Ritchey). Wellgo pedals are generally very good, and
half the price of Shimano equivalent. Wellgo "SPD-style" pedals come with a
variety of cleats. Some are interchangeable with Shimano, some not. I've
found that the pedals with the "98A" cleat usually are (both ways). I have
a few sets of "bottom-of-the-line" Shimano (515). I think I paid $32 last
year. They're fine, and considering they come with cleats (most pedals do),
which cost $20 separately, they were quite the deal. Perfectly good Wellgo
pedals are often sold as low as $20.

Road use is simple compared to off-road, anything that works well for MTB
is fine for the road, spending a little more for MTB pedals might be a good
idea, since the application is much more demanding.