Old September 7th 17, 09:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Let the Laughing Begin

On Thu, 07 Sep 2017 00:30:20 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Thu, 07 Sep 2017 11:04:20 +0700, John B.
wrote:

"The potential collective intelligence of a human group is
exponentially proportional to group size, however in practice the
actual collective intelligence that is achieved by a group is
inversely proportional to group size. There is a huge delta between
potential collective intelligence and actual collective intelligence
in practice. In other words, when it comes to collective intelligence,
the whole has the potential to be smarter than the sum of its parts,
but in practice it is usually dumber."

to quote http://tinyurl.com/yd68nx2

Collective intelligence is also linear. If one person can do a
specific job in 1 hr, two people will take 2 hrs, three people will
take 3 hrs, four people will take 4 hrs, etc.

Seriously, that is true in some situations. I worked with a guy that
had a flourishing trucking business going in California and mush of
his work was hauling fill to some large earth filled dam they were
building, I think as a backup for the L.A. water supply system.

In any event he sold up and came overseas to work. I asked him why and
he said, "do you know how long it takes a truck driver to have a cup
of coffee and a slice of pie?

He explained that the last part of the haul was up a mountain so after
dumping the load the truckers would roll down the hill and stop at a
strategically located coffee shop. Truck #1 would drop his load and
stop for coffee and about the time he was finishing the coffee truck
#2 would arrive, and before they finished their coffee truck #3 would
arrive and before you know it an hour and a half had gone by :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.