Old August 8th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides
Dane Buson

Default Why isn't the tri-state more bicycle friendly? - Cin., Ohio

In rec.bicycles.misc Bonehenge wrote:

Which "Tri-State"?

Apparently, it never occurred to you that there are many "Tri-State"
areas in the USA?

Garrison seems to be a trifle provincial. I'm not sure if he's figured
out how to respond to people posts as he seems to think Usenet is a
write-only medium.

Also, ontopic to the thread. I lived in Cincinnati for seven years
(mostly pre-cycling). A few obervations: First, the city has the
worst drivers in the state - backed up by accident statistics
unfortunately. I didn't feel particularly safe in a car in Cincinnati,
it was worse when I was on a bike. Second, the city has a dramatic
segregation in terms of race and income. The haves and have-nots do not
mix and if you are riding a bike you are automatically classed as a
have-not and noone cares if you live or die.

Plus the terrain is crappy, the roads are poor and the weather is
abysmal. Oh, and not many good bike stores.

I can't imagine why cycling is unpopular there.

--
Dane Buson -
"Life is cheap. It's the accessories that kill you."