Old March 6th 04, 08:32 PM
Wavering

Default Was I right to blow my top?

My Saturday morning ride ended in a bit of road rage today. Did I do the
right thing?

Towards the end of a forty mile ride I was travelling downhill in a thirty
mph zone about 150 yards from the left hand turn into the estate where I
live. I was coasting at about 24mph and noticed a four wheel drive land
cruiser type vehicle coming the other way. The next thing I am aware of is
an SUV type vehicle coming from behind and squeezing me off the road. I
swerved to avoid the SUV and managed to brake without hitting the kerb.

I guy I know happened to be standing on the pavement and shouted over "thats
shocking" but I just flew after the SUV knowing he would have to slow down
at a tight bend a couple of hundred yards further on. I was shouting and
swearing ( and I almost never swear) and eventually he stopped about a
hundred yards beyond the tight bend. I then started shouting and swearing
(again) trying to get him to understand what he had just done and I got
worse when he said he was nowhere near me and anyway I was cycling in the
middle of the road blocking his way. A bit of a scene ensued which got the
attention of passers by and I was about to leave when he got out of his
vehicle and made noises as if he wanted to fight, but he quickly changed
his mind.

I was so mad I didn't have the presence of mind to get his registration
number but both him and his passenger are locals, as I recognised their
faces, but I am not convinced, even with an independent witness, the police
would be interested in a nearly accident so I probably won't pursue it. His
passenger was reluctant to back him up in the argument and I got the
impression he understood how close it had been and though the driver was
totally unrepentant he may have said something in a quieter moment to make
my outburst worthwhile.

The thing is when I got home I was angry with myself for losing my rag and
thinking that cycling (much as I love it ) isn't worth it. I have been
thinking along these lines quite a lot recently as I have become a bit
paranoid about the "normal" near misses.

Was I right or I have I so enraged this guy he'll make sure he hits the next
cyclist.