Old January 21st 04, 01:28 PM
Colin Blackburn

Default Cycling to work banned

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:15:29 +0900, James Annan
wrote:

Well, it hasn't been yet. But it has been threatened. This is at a Govt
funded (quasi-independent, the management structure is somewhat obscure)
scientific research lab in Japan (http://www.jamstec.go.jp/frsgc/eng/).
The main goal of the lab is the understanding and prediction of climate
change, and it issues plenty of warm fuzzy statemente about "Protecting
our Mother Earth", but when the bureaucratic chips are down, it seems
that it is more important to issue diktats and invent rules to outlaw
one of the most environmentally-friendly behaviours possible.

[...]
In the UK, I would happily tell the bureaucrat to **** off, but
unfortunately workers' rights are still a rather foreign concept here
and it is clear that any foreigner who kicks up too much of a fuss gets
sent home in short order (I have already caused more than my share of
trouble, and now is definitely not a good time to start any more).
Bureaucrats aside, I like it here, and am not in a rush to leave. But I
don't take kindly to small-minded petty jobsworths trying to push me
around. Any hints and tips for a sensible strategy will be gratefully
received.

I think the standard answer would end withe the phrase, "...and bury the
body."

What I want to know is how they can possibly consider banning cycling when
they themselves has a research programme aimed at developing a
hydrological cycle.

Colin