Old July 4th 05, 11:45 AM
Alan Braggins

Default electric bikes

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message , Johnnie Scott
') wrote:

Hope this is the correct group.
Looking to buy an electric bike.
Any info on which one to get and best
prices on line

http://www.atob.org.uk/Electric_price_tag.html
http://www.atob.org.uk/Electric_Buyers'_Guide.html

Ginat LaFree (may now be known as Giant Twist) is widely considered to
be the best (about £850). They do work, and are actually rideable.

However, I'm pretty sceptical of the benefits of electric-assist bikes.
Most are much too heavy to be at all easy or pleasant to ride once the
battery has run out, as sooner or later it will. I strongly suspect
that most users would find a light 700c wheeled hybrid with high
pressure slick tyres a lot less work overall than an electric assist.

I'm vaguely considering one for (some) commuting. On a pleasant day,
it would be a waste of money since I can pedal faster than it could
provide any legal assistance. On a cold wet day with a strong headwind,
or a day when I'm recovering from a cold or something, it has more appeal,
and might pay for itself if it meant I was less likely to just take the
car on such a day.
Since the commute is the same distance every day, there's no reason the
battery should run out until it needs replacing (which it will one day,
but it shouldn't happen soon or often).

(I do see people pootling along gently on very heavy electric bikes
with limited range, and they seem quite happy with them. They might be
pointless for anyone who considers themself a cyclist, but if the users
would otherwise be driving the half-mile to the shops they have to be a
good thing.)