Old May 4th 04, 04:32 AM
A Muzi

Default Mavic CrossMax SL freehub mystery problem

toolguy wrote:

Hi all,

I bought a new set of CrossMax SL wheels for my Santa Cruz last July.
They've had a few months worth of riding and then hung up for the
winter. I took the bike down a few weeks ago for it's first spring
ride and the rear wheel had seized. With a little effort (pedaling)
the wheel loosened up but I knew I had a bearing problem. I was set
for a ride so I did it anyway as it was a road ride in the mountains.
The wheel seemed OK but then on the descents at higher speed (about
+50 km/hr) the hub made this high pitched death scream that made me
think the wheel was going to explode. -snip-

We pulled out the left bearing (non-drive side) and it was
toast.-snip-

On Sunday's ride it was screaming
it's death wale

You mention service to the left bearing. Open the right ones?
Death wale? Perhaps a corduroy would be less loud.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org