Old July 8th 09, 02:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Clyde Henpecker

Default The looks, the feeling of being odd, .. how to overcome?

"Because it's fun and I get to see places and meet people instead of
blasting down the interstate."

The people who ask are those who don't like to ride, but do it for
"merit badges". Their ride reports make that clear with descriptions
of arduous conditions and suffering, aka "I survived the Death Ride".

You might peruse the following:

http://www.trentobike.org/byauthor/JobstBrandt.html

Jobst Brandt

Jobst Brandt .. thank you.... that was the best posting I've read in
a long long time...

Sometimes, especially in a world of conformity, I fall victim to the
"gee, maybe I should do something else" ... syndrome.

Your posting has cured me !

Screw the lazy *******s who sit in RV's. Or the "let's go to the resort
that does
not let the locals in" group. Then there are the "we can sit on our ass at
the beach
and bake" crowd..

I LOVE BICYCLING.. HAVE SINCE MR CONWAY, A WWLL VETERAN WHO
LANDED ON NORMANDY BEACH, JUNE 6 1944 .. PUT TOGETHER A TEN
SPEED FOR ME. THAT WAS ONE JUNKY BICYCLE, BUT I LOVED IT.

HE LATER HELPED ME WITH A BETTER BICYCLE.

AND HE OPENDED THE DOOR TO A LIFE OF MOVING FROM ONE PLACE TO
ANOTHER BY OTHER THAN AUTOMOBILE..

THANKS MR CONWAY .. AND THANKS TO ALL WHO GO FORTH ON
BICYCLES .. TRAVELING DOWN ROADS WITH NO SHOULDERS,
IN THE RAIN, COLD, NOT KNOWING WHERE NIGHTFALL MAY BE,
YET SETTING OFF ANYWAY..

YES, I/WE ARE DIFFERENT. SO WHAT ..

TO ALL THE FOLKS WHO WONDER WHY WE DO IT ..

GET OVER IT ..

WHEW.. I FEEL BETTER..

STARTING OFF TOMORROW...

ALL PACKED UP ...