Old August 19th 03, 05:00 AM
Ryan Cousineau

Default Which pedals: nylon or metal?

In article ,
Rick Onanian wrote:

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 07:16:49 -0700, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
But except for clips and straps, I can't think of a pedal model that will
both hold your foot well and not make a big mess if you hit your shin
against it.

1. Clipless pedals -- not all of them will destroy your shin

Yeah, I guess a Speedplay pedal might be okay, though I still wouldn't
want it to hit my shin. Most mainstream pedals, SPDs for sure (I can
prove it...) will take a nasty chunk out of your shin.

2. Shoes with ballsy soles, with less aggressive plastic
pedals -- Baseball cleats worked for me, but golf
shoes (with their replacable metal spikes) would do
even better

Hm. Interesting idea. Maybe this will be the latest trend.

But that last solution means you need funny shoes, just like clipless.
Most people with pegged platform pedals are using them either because
they don't want to be attached to their bicycle--they are already
wearing shin guards. The rest are using them because they work with
street shoes. They aren't wearing shin guards, but they don't want to
wear funny shoes. If they're really worried about their shins, these
people just go to rubber block pedals and take the grip penalty.

If I was going to set up a bike for use in civilian shoes, I'd pick
pegged platforms. rubber pedals would annoy me, and my experience with
road bike leads me to believe that I wouldn't bang my shins against the
pedals often enough to matter.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club