Old March 20th 18, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Bicycle bottle diameters, why different?

On 2018-03-20 12:45, sms wrote:
On 3/20/2018 10:58 AM, Joerg wrote:
Just ordered a bottle from Stansport. It is nice but much smaller in
diameter than my California Bike Gear bottle which is a snug fit. So
the Stansport bottle rattles around in there.

Why can't they agree on one standard diameter? In the electronics
industry we got that licked decades ago.

Any tricks how to adapt to both without bending the cage back and forth?

A standard bicycle water bottle is 2.875" (73 mm).

The Stansport is 2.820" (71.5mm) and the Cal Bike Gear is 2.885"
(73.3mm). Even worse is that the indentation ring is off by about
0.300". How can this happen? In medical, aerospace or other electronics
we'd get flogged for that.

As you should -- in fact, flog yourself for this, too.

There are cages available for larger bottles. I have the best large cage
on a couple of bicycles. It means one bottle instead of two. It's also
extremely secure. It's item #1 on my page at
http://tinyurl.com/notatlbs. There is also a cage for a growler (#3).

Then I'd have another boutique solution, new bottles and all that. I was
hoping the bicycle industry would have agree to a bottle standard but
that hope was just dashed, like many others.

n your day. I can

All my dozens of bottles are within spec, and it is clear to me that the manufacturers are out to f*** with you. This is about you and only you. Cheap-**** water bottle makers like Stansport and Cal Bike Gear got together and said "let's f**** with Joerg." I'm so sorry for you. Next, they'll be screwing with your inner-tubes. Instead of 1.75-2.5" it will be 1.76661-2.499999". This is pay-back for all your complaining about the poor quality of bicycle components. When you make your next bottle order, use a different name.

-- Jay Beattie.