Old April 1st 18, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default Help With Choosing 700c Inner Tube

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 17:50:16 -0000 (UTC), Duane wrote:

I see no value in trying to get a presto tube to work in a rim made for a
schraeder tube. Seems like just asking for trouble.

What kind of trouble would you anticipate? Installing a Presta stem
in an oversized hole is certainly a bad idea. A suitable shoulder
washer should provide adequate protection.

Most of my rims are drilled for Schrader, while most of my tubes have
Presta valves. Don't ask why I got myself into this situation. I
initially used rubber grommets as adapters (because I had some).
However those eventually crumbled or devulcanized from UV or chemical
exposure.

Another advantage to using an adapter is that I can stock only Presta
style tubes, and they will fit both Presta and Schrader drilled rims.
No need to stock tubes with both types of valves.

Other adapter designs are available:
https://www.google.com/search?q=schrader+to+presta+rim+adapter&tbm=isch

I used a lathe to make a few that looked something like this:
http://wheelsmfg.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=presta+stem+savers

Seems simpler to get the right tube. When my kid was living at home
stocking shraeders for his bike guaranteed he wouldn’t need to grab my
tubes. Didn’t seem like an overly complex solution.

--
duane