Old January 31st 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default New chain waxing technique

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 01:19:25 -0500, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
wrote:

So as part of our college team's sponsorship with Ritchey, I bought a big
bottle of chain wax lube (wax with a solvent carrier) a long time ago and
decided to finally use some now. I shook it up, applied it liberally on the
dry chain, and noticed big clumps everywhere. It's a rainy 60 degrees here
in Gainesville, and the wax solidified up hard as soon as it hit the chain,
rendering it useless for lubing within.

I remembered some of the hot wax ideas mentioned here before, and I figured
I could use heat from my torch to melt it down into the rollers. I picked
up the torch and forgot that I had broken off the safety head on it a while
back. So I grabbed a bottle of alcohol and planned to drip it on, then
light it. It turns out that there was no need for the alcohol. The solvent
carrier of the Ritchey lube lit right up, and the burning chain, chainrings,
and rear cog were a sight to see. Thirty seconds later, the fire goes out,
the wax is well-distributed around the chain (although a longer burn would
have been prefereable to ensure the pins heated up sufficiently.) This was
quick, easy, and kinda fun. Maybe White Lightning will do the same...

If you've got a light colored frame this could make for an interesting paint
effect when you're done.

Don't forget the asbestos chainstay protector.

Ron