Old February 26th 14, 01:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Stephen Harding[_2_]

Default Bike Lights

On 2/25/2014 6:01 PM, Bob wrote:

Grandson will soon be starting out on his first two-wheeler.

Thought it would be a good idea for him to have a LED light set, both
for the front and rear.

Going to Amazon, I see that they all "seem" to be LED lights for this
now, with a battery.

Not sure lighting is really a critical concern for someone on their
first bicycle. But I don't know the conditions/locations in which you ride.

You can get very good battery powered LED lights now. The LEDs are much
longer lasting and brighter than the older bulb, even halogen, types.

Do they still make any of those that I remember from "long ago" where
the power for these lights was provided by a generator turned by a
wheel, in some fashion ?

Are these still used ?

Better than the battery approach ?

Having a generator/alternator is the best approach if you are really
going to be doing a lot of early morning/night riding.

There are excellent generator and wheel dynamo light combinations, for
the most part made by Europeans (see Peter White bicycles for great
information on what to look for and prices on bike lighting), but they
are expensive, and I would think totally out of consideration for a
first bike setup!

You can still find cheapo, made in China, generator driven bike lighting
sets, but my experience is they aren't very good.

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

BTW: Who makes the best and brightest ? Brand/Model, etc. ?

**Does he want the kind that is steady, or Blinks ? Why ?

See Peter White bicycles for more information than you could possibly
imagine on this subject!

SMH