Old June 8th 18, 02:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Hex Wrenches

On 6/7/2018 8:30 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

:Your comments about the EU might be true. I have no way of knowing
:from here as I don't deal with any EU companies directly. I find it
:strange that the EU beaurocracy, that micromanages every minute detail
f product manufacture from conception to recycling, would be so loose
n their labeling requirements. Is there a reason why the EU would
:want or tolerate such deceptive labeling?[1]

Because it's good for business, particularly for the export market,
and it lets historically european manufacturers import **** from china
and pretend they made it locally. (There were no EU laws mandating
COO statements on goods sold in the EU until 2014, and in some cases
they were strictly prohibited.)
A garment "Made in Italy" is more valuable than one "Made in China,
with tags sewn on in Italy". US labeling rules are less strict for
the export market, too. Many things sold in the US which have to say
"Made in the US of imported materials" or the like when sold here can
be straight up "Made in USA" when sold abroad.

In our industry, bicycles are proudly "Designed in USA" with
a big f**king flag logo, meaning, "We carefully reviewed the
bids and chose the low bidder".

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/