Old January 6th 09, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Daniel Barlow

Default Boardman volunteers to help make London safer for cyclists.

Paul Weaver writes:

[Boardman] said: "People just do not feel safe on the roads.

Only when you get criminals attempting to intimidate. IME that's bus
drivers and van drivers

Bus drivers, van drivers, BMW drivers, taxi drivers, private hire
vehicle drivers ...

I don't know that they're necessarily criminals (you could argue that
intimidation of this kind is common assault, but I doubt you'd make it
stick) but I have been the target of attempted intimidation by all the
above in recent months. Taxi drivers in particular - I'm sorry if
anyone reading this is a cabbie and feels slighted by my
generalisation, but an unrepresentative minority of your colleagues
really are making you all look like tits, and the PCO are toothless.

spindrift wrote:
Number of cycle commuters in the UK= 1m

Number of uninsured drivers on UK roads= 1.2m.

Interesting statistics, any links to back that up?

Brake claims 1.2 million uninsured drivers based on a DfT consultation
from 2004, though I believe this figure is heading downwards as more
effort is being made to catch them

http://www.brake.org.uk/index.php?p=709#_ftn1

Five minutes work with Google failed to find a source for the former,
though. Perhaps soeone else can help.

-dan